Gardens in bloom - add your pics throughout 2020!

Its beautiful–gardeners are a resourceful bunch!

Being stuck at home I’ve barely been in to my front yard lately! Almost missed seeing the irises there :smile:

3 Likes

Some of my early May flowers.

I really like how the forget-me-nots are establishing in this bed, contrasting with the colour of the blue spruce.

the lily of the valley is filling in finally.

4 Likes

Artichoke is producing…so excited!

2 Likes

Vegetable boxes are becoming lush

3 Likes

I’ve only tried artichokes once, and they were a miserable failure. What sort of placement are you giving them? Do they need full sun all day or can they do with less?

They have full on sun from early morning (8am ish) to about 5 pm. And they are nestled against a low rock retaining wall. Pretty ideal for them. It’s where I also grow tomatoes and melons. Are you short on sunny spots?

That would explain it. Our vegetable garden doesn’t get that much sun all day except for some select spots where things like tomatoes go. My ‘other’ full sun areas get more like 4 to 6 hours of sun. It’s great for many things, but I guess not for artichokes.

I’m not used to getting so much sun–we get WAY more here than at our last place. I also used to save sunny spots for the important stuff–like tomatoes! Artichokes are definitely down the list…

1 Like

@gardeningConnie Looks amazing! Did you grow your lettuce from seed? And if so, any tips on how to germinate? My lettuce (or any greens for that matter) just don’t catch.

My big, beautiful comfrey plant. And so easy too!

1 Like

That Dogwood is just outstanding!

It took a few years to. Establish. I thought it wasn’t going to make it. But much better tbis year.

I have been experimenting with backdrops against which to photograph bonsai. This is a sheet of black velour. Grey is also good but I haven’t been able to find any locally. The tree is a mountain hemlock with alpine lady fern as a companion plant.

6 Likes

Wow @fhovenden that’s beautiful!

@fhovenden absolutely stunning!

How absolutely wonderful! The black really shows off the beauty of the plants. How old is that hemlock, out of curiosity?

It is difficult to age a wild living tree from the sub-alpine. I would estimate somewhere between 100 and 200 years old.
I don’t know of any non destructive tree aging methods, although they must exist. Counting rings seems rather primitive.

Beautiful tree! You might be able to find some neutral gray paint or have the paint store mix some for you. Then you could paint a piece of plywood or even a piece of stiff fabric that you could roll up.

The oyas worked out so well for us last year that we are trying them again this year for our tomatoes both in the greenhouse and in the garden beds.

This is such a great time of the year. The vegetables are growing and the insects haven’t found them yet.

2 Likes