Would creeping thyme be a good option for border of lawn? *** Thanks everyone for your ideas! Lots to think about! ***

Hi all, the edge of my front lawn slopes towards the road. It is very dry and covered in weeds. Every year I dig up the weeds, and put down new soil & grass seed. Every year the weeds return and it looks horrible. What is the definition of insanity?! This year I want to try something different … what do you think of planting the area with creeping thyme? Will the thyme eventually smother the weeds? All thoughts appreciated!

1 Like

I’m wondering if you get people walking their dogs along there, peeing, that creates some of the problem? If so, I am not sure anything you plant is going to look good. Creeping thyme is lovely, but to me better situated at the edge of paths or between flagstones as it’s very low growing.

Creeping thyme does not love dry. In fact, they really only thrive with lots of water. Otherwise, you will just be adding an extra weeding job of keeping the thyme tidy while you wait for it to spread. Perhaps either you rehab the area into something else entirely (flower bed with a border and new dirt/mulch etc) or just don’t look :wink: !

1 Like

How a out a hedgerow, benefits birds and bees

3 Likes

How about digging out a 1’ border, about 3’+ deep, and put in bark mulch. It would be tidy, suppress weeds, you could top it up with new mulch every few years, and it you decided to plant it, you could put in pockets of soil with plants and leave the mulch in between.

Just one of many possibilities.

1 Like

Another idea would be to put down cardboard or several layers of wet newspaper over the scruffy area and cover with 3" of mulch. In the fall the grass beneath will have decomposed and you can plant whatever shrubs or perennials you’d like there…maybe low spreading junipers?

2 Likes