What to do with lovage!

The other day I harvested lovage greens, so I thought I would share what I’m doing with them.

Every year I pick the leaves when they are still beautiful and green, dry them, and store them for culinary use. They are helpful when added to soups, sauces, etc., anywhere you would like celery flavour. The flavour is quite strong so you don’t need a lot, and of course, they can’t replace celery for crunch. With the cost of food going ever higher, and especially things like celery that aren’t that easy to grow, lovage is a great substitute.

I’ve used my dehydrator to dry the lovage in the past, but this year I decided to sun-dry it instead, and I think it has produced a better result.

Lovage is a herbaceous perennial with few growing requirements. You can plant it in a corner and pretty much forget about it until you want a bit. Don’t let it go to seed as it would spread readily that way. In fact, harvest the seeds and use them as you would fennel seeds! I’ve done that as well.

3 Likes

Thanks Kim…this is great information! Now I just have to get myself organized and get drying. It sounds like a very simple process that will be super welcome in the Winter!

1 Like

Thanks Kim for the reminder. I have made a seasoned salt, blending kosher salt with dried herbs e.g lovage and thyme OR lovage and rosemary. A coffee grinder is a great way to get the herbs and salt finely ground.

3 Likes

I was just looking at my lovage wondering what to do with it. Thanks for the great tips!

1 Like

That’s a great idea, Patricia. I’ll give that a try too.