Tips on Tulip planting in The Valley

How much sun, shade do tulips need in the Comox Valley? Was planning on planting under a cherry tree with lots of Pine Trees high above giving partial shade, gets about 2 partial hours sun in summer… only been here 4 months, so not sure about spring . Also how do you keep Deer from eating from eating new shoots in spring? No deer where I came from only squirrels always digging up and eating!! Thanks

1 Like

I guess someone has to tell you: deer will eat your tulips. Full stop.

2 Likes

Yup. Deer will eat your tulips. They will eat everything near your tulips once in the area. Daffodils are nice - and there are lots of varieties. Best of luck!

1 Like

If you do find an area that is safe from deer, this site may provide helpful advice, at How to Plant Tulips. Also Tulip Time! - BCLiving .
Species tulips tend to last longer than hybrid tulips, although they are not as showy.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi Elizabeth. .I also am waiting to plant my special rose tree, still in pot (currently behind deer fence holding area) as I read deer they eat those as well? Only had nasty squirrels and high water table to worry about before. Most of the yard is fenced in… We plan to put a fence to enclose the rest of back yard… apparently has to be 6 feet minimum in height? to keep them out… Planting website was very useful Thank-you…Was going to plant under cedar trees , which gives about 3 hours of sun , hope that is enough. Not sure about exact amount of sun area gets yet, just guessing,as have only been her 5 months… I have heard you can spray the green foliage with deer spray after they are 4 " tall, but I don’t want to use chemicals… bad for the environment…Thanks in Advance Anita. T.

I believe Daffodils are planted along front garden border… just moved as they were dying down so I guess I have to want till Spring for that mystery to be solved… there is also large clumps of Daisys that bloomed for months after I moved in, hope they are ok …so pretty… Mystery plants are fun…Also several ferns…and one Rhodo…Will look for more Daffodils… Was thinking Home Hardware might still have some? Not sure of good place to get bulbs yet…found tulips at Coscto…bought last 3 bags they had in store…Hybrid Type…all that was left…Thank-you

Hi Anita - as others have said, deer find tulips pretty irresistible, but, you can spray them and anything else you need to deter them from with Bobbex. It is not a chemical, it is stinky stuff that they don’t like. It works for rabbits too, and is not harmful to the environment. Just don’t spray it on anything you will eat. The smell is quite horrible but will dissipate to the human nose by the next day and will stay working for you for several weeks, critters having a much better sense of smell than humans. It really does work! You can get it at Canadian Tire and most gardening centres.

2 Likes

Hi Anita:
Yes, deer will eat roses, so they will need protection. Some sources recommend fences higher than 6 feet; see Best Height For Deer Fence - DeerBusters Canada . It may depend upon whether you are in town or not. Our fence is about 5 feet, in Comox, and so far the deer stay out.
Not sure if three hours of sun is enough for tulips–you might need to do a little more research. Some shade will help them last longer though. Deer spray does have to be applied again after rain, but I see that Kim is using it successfully, so that’s good.
Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Kim. I will go and by this for sure, never had deer to worry about before, just squirrels and so far no squirrels , just wild bunnies and some black wild cat that seems to like to eat the poor things. I guess I can spray my rose bushes before planting them as well, they are still in large pot that I brought with me from the mainland. Questions for you, do I wait and spray the green part of tulips as they appear? We hope to be putting a deer fence up, there is only one part of property that doesn’t have a fence, I haven’t seen deer eating yet, but I have seen deer everywhere else that I drive too. The Man than came to do a tree pruning estimate says they have been chewing on our back volunteer pine tree fence, so we much fence the rest in before trying to plant a couple of blueberry bushes next year. Thanks a bunch Anita T.

Hi Elizabeth , I am not in town…kinda Rural area not far from Seal Bay Nature park…lots of deer there, so probably only a matter of time before they find me. The previous owner planted daisy’s ,I think Daffodils in front yard, they we just dying down when I moved , so I am guessing on the bulb type…Thanks a bunch for the height of deer fence… We are gong to ask a neighbour if he knows someone that can do one cheap , maybe out of wood , still researching that one… Looking forward to "plant Trade’ meeting in the spring. I think I have a Camelia , so far my extra cutting appears to have bloom heads on it…Anita T

hi Anita, yes spray the greenery on your tulips when they come up, but the deer especially enjoy the flowers, even as buds!

1 Like

thanks, working on deer fence…