With Christmas fast approaching I thought I would share some party favourites, just in case you want to party in your bubble! Over the next few days I will post some delicious recipes to make the celebration extra special. You will be glad to know this is my last chicken recipe…!
Spicy, Tangy Chicken Wings
- · 24 Chicken wings (3 pounds)
- · ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts (for garnish)
- · ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- · ½ cup orange juice
- · Zest of 2 oranges
- · ¾ cup honey (reduce if find to sweat)
- · 8 cloves garlic
- · 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted
- · 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted
- · 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- · 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- · ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- · 2 tablespoons salt (reduce as desired)
- Score the wings 3 times on each side.
- In a blender, combine all the marinade ingredients and purée at high speed for 30 seconds. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade for basting the wings. Cover the reserved marinade and refrigerate. Place the wings in a bowl, pour the remaining marinade over, toss, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare a medium fire in the grill.
- Drain the wings. Oil the grate. Place the wings on the hot grate and grill for 7 to 8 minutes per side, basting frequently with the marinade set aside for this purpose. To test for doneness, pry open one of the scores with a knife blade. There should be no blood on the bone and the wings should be brown and caramelized.
- To serve, sprinkle with the scallions and arrange on a platter.
2004 Douglas Rodriguez, Latin Flavours on the Grill . Ten Speed Press, Berkeley, Calif. Recipe found on page 35.