Pruning information for my two young fig trees

I have two young fig trees planted in 2021 but the Desert King variety suffered a big set back with a deer on year one, went through protected “rehab” and is now in place beside his "friend’ a Ronde de Bordeaux which without the deer setback is double the size of the desert king. Both are now behind fencing for their safety.

However, after watching a few videos online on fig pruning/training, my little Desert King is off to a great start (with 6 figs growing beautifully). The large Ronde de Bordeaux has multiple stems and big healthy leaves and zero figs. I want to prune it before it’s out of hand…when and how? I’m in Comox and would welcome anyone with the skills, and can pay or perhaps trade you for somethingin my garden??

1 Like

I never used to get figs until learned how to prune properly…its an art! I watch this video every year at pruning time (because i just can’t seem to remember the skill!)

3 Likes

I also use the method in the video Lorna posted for my Desert King and the Breba crop, never had a main crop ripen on this tree. The Ronde de Bordeaux will only produce a small Breba crop but is mainly grown for the early main crop so a different pruning technique is required.

1 Like

Thank you…I think I’m going to contact the grower on Denman I purchased her from…perhaps he will help me.

1 Like