Lasting and easy Plant labels

Does anyone know a method to label plants that won’t fade, break or fall off (tape). I want something easy and not too big and not plastic. Ive tried oil based sharpie on masking tape and letra dymo labeller.

Small, wooden popsicle sticks (from the Dollar Store) work fairly well if you write on them with a soft pencil (B6 or B8).

2 Likes

I bought a garden pen at Lee Valley Tools and some of their Metal stakes. The writing stayed on for a couple of years and when I noticed it fading just touched it up and has been good since.

2 Likes

When I was in Black Creek this summer I noticed the labels on the plants for sale and asked the person where they came from. She said, ‘I will pick up metal blinds not plastic and cut them to the desired length.’ Restore, etc., I thought this was a very thrifty idea. This gardener has five acres and sells plants.
Reuse, recycle :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I use the plastic blinds (I’ve used the metal ones and they didn’t work as well for me). I write with a ‘china marker’ which is one of those black greasy type pencils that have paper that you peel off vs sharpen. They were used in the ‘old days’ to … mark china. It lasts quite a while.

3 Likes