Jam season is here!

I love making jam. It is quick and easy - a great way to store away berries and fruit. Today’s jam is a cherry-goose berry-blueberry-raspberry mix.

4 Likes

That sounds like a great mix, Linda. Do you use the Pomona’s Universal Pectin? I’ve done a couple of batches of raspberry and am hoping to get enough cherry plums and Italian plums for more this year. Our fruits have really been suffering from the weather though and not producing the way they used to.

Actually, I never use pectin, except what is naturally in the fruit. I precook the berries, then add the sugar and then bring it back to a boil. I boil it until it reaches the jam setting stage (220 degrees F) - about 10 - 12 minutes.

Our goose berries were great this year. They must have liked the heat. The blueberries were okay. I just picked up the cherries while visiting in the Okanagan.

2 Likes

I made jam for the first time a couple of days ago (we are loaded with raspberries this year…so wonderful!) We didn’t have pectin in the house so I found a recipe for jam with no pectin. It firmed up perfectly and is delicious. Only three ingredients, raspberries, sugar and lemon juice. If anyone is interested, here’s the recipe I used:

2 Likes