Another party favourite!
This unique flavour mix of the glaze takes shrimp to a whole new level!
Honey-, Lime-, and Rum-Glazed Shrimp
· 20 Large shrimp, at least 16/20 size, peeled and deveined
· 2 tablespoons oil
· Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Honey, Lime and Rum Glaze
· ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
· ½ cup dark rum
· 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
· 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons lime juice
· ¾ cup honey (reduce as desired)
· Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
· Zest of 2 limes
· ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
To prepare the glaze, combine the lime juice, rum, and ginger in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture, honey, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely, then stir in the zest and cilantro. Transfer to a container, cover, keep cool, and set aside.
Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill.
Toss the shrimp with the oil, 6 tablespoons of the glaze, and salt and pepper to taste. Lay the shrimp on the hot grate and grill for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, brushing often with additional glaze, until shrimp have turned bright pink on the outside and white on the inside.
Arrange the cooked shrimp on a platter and serve.
2004 Douglas Rodriguez, Latin Flavours on the Grill . Ten Speed Press, Berkeley, Calif. Recipe found on page 31.