Help identify please

I found this bug in my greenhouse today and managed to kill it without squashing it (which is good because I think it is a stink bug).
Can anyone tell me if it is the brown marmorated stink bug? If so, what do I do?
Thanks

I would send this pic to our former president, Leslie Cox (duchess of dirt.ca) or Linda Gilkeson in Salt Spring. Both are very good at identifying these critters. Leslie wrote about the brown marmorated ones. Let us know what you find out, please.

Homeowners: Low numbers of brown marmorated stink bugs can be removed by hand, sweeping or a shop vacuum. Prevent entry into the home by sealing off any access points. The use of insecticides for controlling brown marmorated stink bugs in the home is not recommended.

2 Likes

@duchessofdirt Are you able to provide any insight to this question? Thank you!

Hi Leslie
I’m sorry but I don’t know what else to tell you. I found it on an upper shelf that is on a wooden wall at the back of the greenhouse. I was moving pots and found it, so tried to kill it with the plastic pot in my hand. Luckily for me I didn’t squash it completely. I posted a picture above.
It seems reasonable to shop vac the shelves and corners. Is there anything else I should do?
Thanks for your time
Leslie

The insect is indeed a brown marmorated stink bug (BMSB). If you found one, keep your eyes peeled for any more. They may be lurking in pots or behind trays…anywhere that might be warmer than the ambient air. Unless your greenhouse is heated, that is! If you are worried about accidentally releasing their odorous “perfume” when squishing them, you can keep a covered container of soapy water nearby and just drop them in. A slower death but less smelly. Another option is to take the insect outside and squish it with a rock or stick. The breeze and rain should dissipate the odour for you.

2 Likes

Vacuuming up the BMSB may trigger them to release their scent and then it would be in your vac. Unfortunately, my research has not found any mention of preventative maneuvers that will keep them out of homes, greenhouses, woodsheds, and the like. By all reports, hand picking and killing are the recommendations. Maybe, given time, the predatory wasp which hunts BMSBs will find its way over to the Island. It has made its way from Japan to Chilliwack so far.

2 Likes

this is BMSB in September on a squash leaf.

1 Like