Growing Rosemary in the Valley

My rosemary dies off every winter, never fail…I try so hard to protect…three of them died this year and all were in sheltered spots. Yours is beautiful!

1 Like

The only reason mine doesn’t die is because I over winter it in the greenhouse!

1 Like

Rosemary is mostly a zone 8 herb, so you need a really protected corner of the garden, or over winter it in a greenhouse. I have a rosemary in the garden that gets a little frosted on the branches, but seems to survive going on three years now. I also mulch it well in the autumn.

1 Like

I didn’t realize it was a Zone 8 plant. I had one survive for years in Vancouver…must have been a sheltered spot. I will try mulch in the Fall. Do love the fact that they grow fast so when I have to replace them every year they are large at least :slight_smile:

We had a HUGE rosemary when we lived in Metchosin. It was so large that at first I didn’t realize what it was when we first bought the property. It was about 3.5’ wide and about 4’ high and was growing in an old horse pasture - no idea how it could have got there!

Wouldn’t that have been cool to have brought the ‘tree’ with you! Obviously a very protected spot. That would have been amazing when it was in bloom.

I have a rosemary that requires regular pruning as it grows so fast. No winter protection needed.

1 Like

I am still amazed that all over the Comox Valley we seem to have different climates, or even micro-climates. Some areas grow things like rosemary with no problem; were we are, rosemary usually dies in a harsh winter.

1 Like

My first rosemary lasted about 5 years, west facing, lots of sun and sheltered from north winds as it was in the back garden in front of the raised deck with other perennials around it. It died over one summer. My second rosemary has died off a bit this spring so I don’t know if it will regrow or just keep dying off, but it is blooming at this time. I’ll just keep planting them anyway.

1 Like

Rosemary is a staple in our garden and I’ll keep planting as well!

1 Like

I have had a Rosemary in a large pot for a number of years. I place it in protected unheated plastic for the winter which I water occasionally but mostly keep it on the drier side. Move it outside once hard frosts are finished(early March) My other plant is south facing in the ground for the past 8 years. Partially covered now by a Daphne which I think gives some winter root protection without mulch.I sometimes prune a little after flowering. I have lost large 5 year old plants in the same vicinity by pruning too early or mulching too heavily which then causes the Rosemary to send out tender new growth during the often warmer late winter,then get hit with a later frost. So I have decided not to mulch it and my current plant has survived. The only damage to it has been broken stems from heavy snowfall with freezing temps.

1 Like

HiMy rosemary is on the north west side of our property about 10’ from the house. It is about 12 years old and needs vigorous pruning each year. It is in a raised bed though and we have quite a few 65-70 foot trees in the back yard so our zone there might be a bit warmer