Garden Chores: Dormant Oil Spraying

In this video, CVHS member, Frank, explains how to use dormant oil to help control a variety of pests that may overwinter on your fruit trees such as aphids, mealybug, thrips, whiteflies, adelgids, caterpillar eggs, leafhoppers, scale and mites. Spraying also helps to prevent fungal diseases, which are very common here in the Pacific Northwest.

The spray should be applied before the buds break and should occur when the daily temperature is at least 4C and will stay above freezing for 24 hours. It’s best to spray in the morning so the tree will have time to dry before a cold night. Also do not spray in high winds or when rain could wash the oil off before it has dried. Most importantly of all is to read the instructions! Dormant oil spray kits are available at most garden centres and also Canadian Tire.

Many thanks to Frank for sharing his knowledge with us!

2 Likes

Thanks for this, perfect timing as I’m just thinking about doing this to my fruit trees. Do you need two dry days after applying the spray for it to be most effective? I have been having a hard time finding the perfect timing for this if so.

1 Like

Each application needs time to dry for it to be effective. If it rains in between the two applications that’s Ok. I’m trying to find a good 24 hours to do mine …it’s either windy, forecasting rain, or too cold!

Thanks for this. What about the fig tree, is there no need to spray that?

Thank you Frank and Team…for the pruning video as well. Very informative.

1 Like

No need go spray the fig tree. Frank said very few if any bugs go after a fig. The only problem that Frank had were the starlings finding them before he got the figs picked!

1 Like

No, the fig doesn’t seem to get attacked by any pests that lime Sulphur would help with. Starlings occasionally go after the ripe fruit.
Frank H

1 Like