Contraption: Pulley System for Compost

My husband built this beautiful compost system some years ago. It consists of four boxes in a row, each 5 feet by 5 feet. He had made the lids heavy enough so that I could walk on the top of them to place swallow boxes and so that the wind wouldn’t fling open the lids. Being just over 5 feet tall myself, the problem was that I couldn’t heft open the lids either. My solution - a pulley system. Now I simply move the weight off its stand and pull on the rope and I can easily open or close the lids. The photo shows the pulley system from the back of the compost bins.

21 Likes

Wow…that’s wonderful! Are the four different boxes for the varying degrees of the compost stages?

1 Like

I think that’s the most elaborate compost system I’ve ever seen for a home garden! Very impressive.

1 Like

that is a great system!

1 Like

That’s right, except that the box nearest to us in the image typically holds leftover mounds of purchased composting mulch. The next box holds 2021’s compost, which is was turned over and screened from the previous box this spring, but then sits for another year. The one after that is for 2022’s compost, which is presently cooking away in the farthest box away. It will be filled next spring, when we’ll start anew in box number one again.

1 Like