Bonsai Seedlings

I grew these little evergreen trees from seed this past winter. They are Black Pine, Bristlecone Pine and Black Spruce. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to keep them healthy. They are planted in sea soil, in an area with morning sun only and are doing quite well. I do realize that this is a VERY long term project! (The other trees are volunteer maples).

Keep growing them in the ground. It will increase their trunk size. Do not clip any of them. For the maples, keep growing them in the ground and then next spring just as the buds start to break open at the tips, remove the maples from the ground, wash off all the soil and root prune - take off the tap root, and then replant it in the ground spreading the remaining roots out best you can. Join Arrowsmith or Campbell River Bonsai Club!

2 Likes

I didn’t think about growing the maples as bonsai…,that’s interesting. Thanks for the tips!

Have fun with your seedlings. I don’t want to discourage you but very few bonsai are grown from seed. The process is just too long. Air layering, nursery stock, or collecting wild material are all better and faster alternatives. If you are interested in bonsai I would agree with Darlene that your best move is to join a local bonsai club. The Campbell River Club has just put on a Bonsai 101 course which Darlene could tell you more about.

1 Like

Yes I thought turning these guys into bonsai was optimistic. I’m still quite interested in watching the growth of the seedlings…even if it will be painstakingly slow!

Lorna, it seems so incredibly slow, but we’ve actually got trees now that we started from seed - or nuts. One Garry Oak is now about 15’ tall with a very sturdy trunk. Lots of small big-leaf maples strategically planted too. There’s nothing that makes you have a feeling of being ‘in place’ like seeing a tree that you’ve grown from seed with a wild bird sitting in it!

2 Likes

What a beautiful thought! I’ll be patient. The little seedlings seem to be quite happy where they are. They are easy so they can settle in and take their time. Looks like they’ve doubled in size…although that’s not saying much now!

1 Like

I have found many Japans maple and some coniferous seedlings in my garden and left them to overwinter then potted the maples up. The coniferous I either throw out or plant along a River trail.Some of the maples have grown to 4 feet within a couple of years and I’ve given them away, or donated to the CVHS spring plant sale, or some -usually about the 3rd year I’ve given to a friend who does bonsai. They are looking pretty good after just a few years. Good luck with yours. I think you will enjoy the experience

1 Like