Azalea in pot for years

I’ve had this azalea in this large pot for at least 25 years. It blooms beautifully in the early spring. I’ve not done much of anything for it, other than topdress with a bit of different mulches. I’m wondering if anyone has advice about if I should try and repot it?

2 Likes

Is it an evergreen azalea Kim? It looks good.

I only repot my plants when they show signs of suffering and other than that just top dress with compost in the spring.

3 Likes

my approach is if it aint broke dont fix it. If the azalea continues blooming and is healthy I would not repot. topdressing, feeding and watering should allow it to give you another 25 years of pleasure.

4 Likes

Good to know, thanks @teresa and @johnhastie I have been humming and hawing about this for a couple of years now.

1 Like

The leaves look like a Rhodo.

Kim - are the flowers white? Do the leaves have fine hairs? Really early blooming? It looks like Snow Lady from the photo.

No, the flowers are medium pink and the leaves don’t have fine hairs. I could have sworn I have a lot of pictures of it in bloom, but do you think I can find any! It is very early blooming, usually in February. It was a little hot-house plant from a florist that my mother-in-law gave us when we moved into our home in Black Creek. I didn’t really think it would survive long outside. Boy, did it prove me wrong!

Hmmm. The plot thickens. Not many rhodos/azaleas that bloom that early. I’ll have to do some research!

1 Like

@corina.menz Azaleas really are a type of rhododendron, so yes, you’re right!

I was going through some photos today and came across this one which is the azalea in question, in bloom in March. I was a little off with saying it bloomed in February!

1 Like