Asking for advice on two questions

I’ve been considering two new additions for our garden…

1. I noticed that Paradise Plants is advertising olive trees. Has anyone grown them here in the Comox Valley? Advisable? Any tips to share?
  2. I’m thinking of growing grapes, and am wondering how they fare with the increased extremes of our weather – thinking of last year’s heat dome and the very cold winter. Any advice on this?
    Thank you!
1 Like

Re: olives. It’s possible if you have a sheltered and sunny spot. Maybe there’s a new cold-hardy variety. Usually they grow more in a USDA 8 or 9 or 10.

Re: grapes. It really depends on the variety, but you should be able to grow them. I have some that the previous homeowner planted that I couldn’t get rid of if I tried.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate you taking the time. :slight_smile:

People do grow olives here in the Comox Valley, though likely in the more protected areas. The olives do not get very big, and if you wanted to eat them, well it is a long and complicated process to make them palatable.

Grapes are certainly doable, and very much enjoyed by those I know that grow them. Not the least of which is to preserve the grape vine leaves (see virtual Garden Chores about preserving grape vine leaves on the Forum) for those Greek recipes!

2 Likes

Thanks, Gordon! I appreciate the tips. It seems that both olives and grapes are doable here and worth a try. :slight_smile: