Arbutus tree problem

We have an arbutus tree that is about 4 years old and 2.5 metres tall. After the very cold spell in January, all the leaves have turned dark brown/black. The bark hasn’t changed and still looks normal. Does anyone know if there is a chance that the leaves will grow back in the spring or is the tree dead? Is there something we could do to help it along?

We had 6 young arbutus trees got frosted the same way a several years ago. Nature took its course and they all grew back over the next few years. They are pushing 6 to 10 feet tall now.
Not much you can do except wait and see. :smirk:

2 Likes

Thanks! Good to know that there is a chance the arbutus will survive. By the way, do you live near the ocean? We are a bit inland with some elevation and have noticed that the arbutus trees nearer the ocean seem to do better.

wecare 2 miles inland and 320ft asl in Merville. Pretty much the limt for Arbutus but ours are well established now after 11 yrs. The cold this year didnt seem to bother them, but we do still knock the snow off them so the branches dont break.

Thank you for your input. We don’t see too many arbutus trees so it’s nice to hear experiences that other people have with them.

I would like to plant an arbutus tree in our yard this year. Does anyone know of a tree farm or nursery that sells arbutus trees? We are new to Comox Valley (and the Island) and I looked around a bit last season, but couldn’t find any. I know arbutus are finicky and difficult to transplant, but I’d like to give it a try. Any suggestions or recommendations would be most welcome.

We have an Arbutus Marina that we got from Outback Nursery. It has been doing well until this last cold spell. We hope that it recovers. You’re right–arbutus are finicky, especially this far north. We’re actually on our second one because our first one didn’t make it through its second winter. Even though we also clear the snow off the branches that accumulates, it wasn’t enough to help the young tree. It’s probably best to find a spot that is sheltered from the wind and doesn’t get a lot of shade in the summer. Good luck!

Hi Kristin, Welcome to the Comox Valley! Streamside Native Plants near Bowser sells Arbutus menziesii in 1 and 2 gal pots. The nursery has new owners and will open on March 8th. Not sure what kind of stock they have now. http://www.streamsidenativeplants.com
Arbutus will need full sun and a dry site.

Thank you @Donna and @Likes_birds! We’ll give those places a try.