Alstroemeria problems

I have two questions about alstroemeria.
First, how does one deal with the yellow/orange common one, I believe it is Alstroemeria Aurea. Mine is taking over a bed and runs roughshod over anything in its path. Have tried digging it out but it always returns with a vengeance.
Second, I have a couple of better behaved alstros, one peach and one salmon, that I would like to divide. However, every time I dig down and think I have a rooted piece, all I end up with is a stem with nothing on the end.
Any advice gratefully received!

Not to scare you, Sweetpea, but John started removing his patch of Alstroemaria aurea over 5 yrs ago. ( He thinks it is more like 7 or more yrs ago.) He is still finding the odd stem popping up and that is after about 3 applications of (hehem) Roundup over the years. He still has not planted anything in that area…which is behind the pergola and under the Gravestein apple tree. His research on eradicating this plant has been to persevere with constant removal of every new stem because eventually he will get it all. Or kill it. One of the two. Based on his experience with this Alstroemaria species, you may not want to transplant bits of your other two. (Probably Ligtu hybrids.)

2 Likes

But they are so pretty! I’ve never heard of them being considered an invasive species or anything similar before, so this is interesting.

1 Like

Sometimes “pretty” can be dangerous, Kim. Like roses with their lethal thorns. Rest assured, we were snowballed by alstroemaria’s beauty to have planted a number of plants in our garden almost 20 yrs ago. Regretting our actions now so thought it prudent to share the warning on how difficult they are to get rid of. Moral of this story is to buy some altroemaria stems from the flower shop whne you want to admire their beauty and keep the plant roots out of your garden. :grinning:

Oh yes, I understand @duchessofdirt but I think it also depends on where you’ve planted things like this and what your gardening style is. Personally, I love the type of flowers that grow in drifts and fill up a space. I know everyone isn’t into that though. Of course I don’t mean invasive species!

1 Like

Fernwool euphorbia. Like the beautiful Alstroemeria - regrets come later!

Too true, Majgal. If label declares plant “readily self-seeds” or is “fast growing” that is your cue to run away from it!

2 Likes

I love Alstroemeria too. I did plant the “orange” one and it is far more invasive than the yellow, pink or white ones, which seem to spread very slowly in my garden. The orange one took over a large patch in my garden, I dug out what I could and then when the odd piece came up, I painted the stems, with a small brush, with (yikes) Roundup (sometimes you gotta be aggressive), and they were gone in a week. I found the only way transplanting works is to dig up some of the soft tubers and plant it in the new location right away. I tried to propagate some in pots a few times without success.

1 Like