Alpine Flora Suggestions

I have received an email to the CVHS website from a non-member who is looking for some advise on what to plant in their yard, which is located at 2,000 feet on Forbidden Plateau. I thought it was an interesting request, so thought I would pass it on to our members to respond to. I can put anyone interested in helping out in touch with the requestor.

Please let me know. Thanks!

I lived in Whistler for 18 years (elevation 2200 feet). It was very difficult growing vegetables unless you had full sun (which we didn’t) due to the short season. If you are looking to grow veg, the seed packet should show the number of days to maturity on the seed packet (60 days is good) Or buy seedlings!

The perennial flowers that did well there were black eyed Susan’s, asters, sea holly (Eryngium Planum), big root geranium, spirea (I had a white and a pink bush-not sure of the varietals but they were both quite large and quite lovely), coreopsis, echinacea, creeping thyme (Thymus serphyllum), wooly thyme (Thymus pseudolanuginosus), Phlox Paniculata, Gaillardia Grandiflora, musk mallow (Malva sylvestris), columbine, many different types of sedums. Poppies that self seeded too. Kinnickinnick was a good ground cover. All of these plants needed at least partial sun.

Hope this helps.

1 Like