Rhubarb in Bali, Indonesia

Friday, Dec. 10, 2021

Hello friends and fellow gardeners,

Does anyone know if Rhubarb will grow in Bali, Indonesia, where it’s typically 30 degrees C all year round. I am visiting South Vancouver, close to West Coast Seeds head office. They have two types of Rhubarb seed. Wondering if it’s worth buying for my son to take back to Bali, where he lives permanently now.

Thank you all very much. Merry Christmas to all,

Kathy Bruce

Just putting this out there but many countries frown on seeds being brought into their country so maybe you want to check on the law first.

1 Like

Rhubarb needs a cold winter to grow as a perennial. It doesn’t matter how hot it is in the summer as long as it gets enough water and probably not excessive direct sun. You can grow it as an annual if it is hot all year around.

1 Like

Good point. We ended up with botanical invasives because they don’t have the same balance in nature here in BC as they did in places like Scotland or England.

Thank you, Greenthumbgranny - my son lives permanently in Bali and he doesn’t think it will be a problem - it’s not the same as trying to get an orange across the border to US where they might shoot you at dawn if you try that. I appreciate your reply.
Kathy Bruce

Thank you, Graflh - probably worth the $8 investment. He’s also going to check Tokopaedia (Bali’s version of Amazon). Appreciate your reply. Kathy Bruce

Thanks, Kim. Agree, Scotch Broom and Purple Loosestrife are awful and unwanted in Canada. Appreciate your answer. Kathy Bruce PS: it seems he’s found the seeds on Tokopaedia - but all knowledge is good. Thanks to everyone.

1 Like