Spicy, Tangy Chicken Wings

With Christmas fast approaching I thought I would share some party favourites, just in case you want to party in your bubble! Over the next few days I will post some delicious recipes to make the celebration extra special. You will be glad to know this is my last chicken recipe…!

Spicy, Tangy Chicken Wings

Ingredients

• · 24 Chicken wings (3 pounds)
  • · ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts (for garnish)

Marinade

• · ½ cup distilled white vinegar
  • · ½ cup orange juice
  • · Zest of 2 oranges
  • · ¾ cup honey (reduce if find to sweat)
  • · 8 cloves garlic
  • · 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted
  • · 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted
  • · 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • · 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • · ¼ cup cilantro leaves
  • · 2 tablespoons salt (reduce as desired)

Directions

1. Score the wings 3 times on each side.
  2. In a blender, combine all the marinade ingredients and purée at high speed for 30 seconds. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade for basting the wings. Cover the reserved marinade and refrigerate. Place the wings in a bowl, pour the remaining marinade over, toss, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
  3. Prepare a medium fire in the grill.
  4. Drain the wings. Oil the grate. Place the wings on the hot grate and grill for 7 to 8 minutes per side, basting frequently with the marinade set aside for this purpose. To test for doneness, pry open one of the scores with a knife blade. There should be no blood on the bone and the wings should be brown and caramelized.
  5. To serve, sprinkle with the scallions and arrange on a platter.

2004 Douglas Rodriguez, Latin Flavours on the Grill . Ten Speed Press, Berkeley, Calif. Recipe found on page 35.

3 Likes