Rose bush Aphid problem

What destroyed all my rose buds last spring? Are they aphids and how can I make sure it doesn’t happen again this year?

I don’t know what those are, but they don’t look like aphids to me but I’m no expert. Excellent picture you took for having a good look at them though.

Hi
I make a solution of 1 gallon of water, 1 tbsp of cooking oil and 1 tbsp of liquid dish washing detergent and spray it on. It seems to kill most insects and certainly works on aphids. I’ve already treated 3 roses for aphids this year
Barbara

1 Like

Budworm? sawfly larvae? It is most annoying. BT might work but would need to be reapplied if it rains. I usually remove the damaged bud. Tried looking it up and couldn’t find exact identifying cause

1 Like

That definitely looks like a boring insect, aphids are sucking insects. We get aphids on our roses all the time in the summer, and a few rounds of Safer’s works for me and them.

1 Like

Is Shafer’s effective and is it toxic? It says its organic certified so I guess its harmless. I dont want to use pesticides harmful to environment.

Brian Minter recommends Safer’s, so I think it’s okay. I’ve used it myself on spider mites.