Nature's Container

Sometimes Nature makes the best containers. A piece of gnarled driftwood caught my eye one day at the beach. Now it rests in our garden with a few succulents nested in its nooks and crannies. Beach treasures, a piece of coral and a few stones, add the final touches.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s great! Do you know what that succulent at the front is called? Itā€™s popped up all over my garden over the last couple of years.

Thank you! As for the succulent, I donā€™t know what it is called. Maybe someone can help us out. We have several of them in the yard.

The succulent in the front appears to be Euphorbia ā€˜Donkey Tail Spurgeā€™ (Myrtle Spurge). It grows in gravel at my house and baby plants sometime appear nearby. No special care but I do cut off the spent flower stems. Wear gloves when handling as this plant has a white sap that can irritate your skin/eyes.

1 Like

Thanks for the name! And what an apt name it is.

Thanks for the tip! Might have helped me avoid an unpleasant situation. Now that I know the name I can see from itā€™s Wikipedia page that itā€™s classified as a noxious weed in nearby Oregon and elsewhere :sweat_smile: I have been letting it spread but maybe I should rein it in.

Looks like myrtle isnā€™t as much of a concern, but itā€™s tall cousin ā€˜leafy spurgeā€™ is considered quite invasive. This neat ā€˜Grow Me Insteadā€™ booklet from the Invasive Species Council of BC has some options for alternatives. I think Iā€™ll keep the Myrtle Spurge in my garden but try to contain the volunteers more and keep them away from the edge of my property. Maybe Iā€™ll glove up and clip the flowers before seeds are produced.