Early tomato starts

Started these tomatoes much too early in the sunroom so now trying to give them space and keep them warm. Every time it looks like the sun will be shining for a bit they get uncovered to enable the flies to pollinate. I think I need to make a collapsible coldframe for next spring.

2 Likes

Oh my, that’s an early start on these! Good luck with them and keep us posted on how they do.

I can totally relate! Did the same thing myself…seems I don’t ever learn because I do it every year. I have a similar product to your covers, see pics below. When the sun is shining the covers come up. When it’s raining or at night, the covers go down. The plants have been out for over 3 weeks now and they look great. It is a bit of work but I don’t mind babying them.

I also started mine too early this year in anticipation of our Hort sale. I have quite large plants ,trying to keep happy. I am going to plant some in a covered unheated greennhousebut will wait to plant the others outdoors.

1 Like

Yes…I also planted a bunch for the plant sale…also planted a bunch of very old seeds just for the fun of it, not thinking that they’d germinate. Well…they ALL germinated and now I have the result to deal with. There will be lots of tomato soup in the freezer this fall! 7 more plants need to go into the ground…they are much too large and really want to be set free :grinning:

1 Like

I like the tomato greenhouse product. From where did you purchase it?

From Lee Valley. $17.50 for 1 pack that can be cut into 5 or 6 covers. I’ve had them for two seasons now and they are still as new—anticipating that they will last a long time. Loving that I can also use them on rainy days like today. See
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/garden/garden-care/plant-protection/75535-tomato-greenhouse

2 Likes